We are transitioning into a new decade, individually and collectively.
And guess what, transitions can be tough. Especially when a transition is paired with a yearning for radical change.
As we enter the 20’s of the 21st century, it is inevitable to reflect on the 20’s of the 20th century. Patterns give us both stability and predictability. Reflecting on lessons and patterns from the past gives us informed insight on what’s to come.
The roaring 20s of the last century marked a time of cultural and social change and prosperity. Our planet has been begging us for environmentally minded change, and I think we are at a point where this change can occur at a dramatic scale. So maybe the 20’s of this century will follow suit? Who’s down to roar into the coming decade?!
The catch, however, is that the change begins within. Significant change begins with many many small changes. Each part is a necessary asset to the whole. So guess what that means - YOU are a necessary part to the whole.
So what realizations must we accept and embody to bring the change we yearn for in the coming decade? We don’t need novel and new ideas to make big change - we need truth, inspiration and connection. So let’s follow these words of wisdom from some of our favorite global leaders. These words can become beliefs, and these beliefs can become resolutions.
- “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead
Cultural anthropologist, Margaret Mead, reminds us how powerful we are as individuals and as small communities.
- “The Earth is what we all have in common.” -Wendell Berry
Farmer, and environmental activist, Wendell emphasizes the uniting force of our home planet.
- “One of the first conditions of happiness is that the link between man and nature shall not be broken.” -Leo Tolstoy
A Russian author, sometimes noted as one of the greatest writers of all times, points out how crucial it is for humanity to remember their roots in a natural world.
- “We are what we repeatedly do.” -Aristotle
Renowned Greek philosopher, Aristotle, reminds us how much our habits define who we are.
- “You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of a difference you want to make.” - Jane Goodall
Primatologist and anthropologist, Jane, advises us to be mindful of our daily actions and how they affect the greater good.
- “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi
Political ethicist, Gandhi, advises us to practice what we preach.
- “Suffering is part of our training program for becoming wise.” - Ram Dass
Our late and great spiritual teacher and author, Ram Dass, gives us words of hope and reminds us that the challenges are our teachers.
The late and great Ram Dass reminds us that the challenges are our teachers.
The early days of January are often filled with hope and commitment for positive change in the coming years. Write down some of your favorite quotes, self-reminders, or mantras that you can look back on for the motivation you need during the harder days to come throughout the year.
We hope some of these wise words inspire you for an awesome year ahead!